UNESCO has called on governments never to allow student loan repayments to rise above 15% of their monthly incomes so that further expansion of higher education does not leave the disadvantaged behind.
It is one of six measures recommended to policy-makers to address equality and affordability of access.
- Keep an eye on the target: Make sure those who need help the most are getting it;
- Put it in law: Guarantee equity and affordability in regulatory frameworks;
- Step up monitoring: Establish national agencies to ensure equal opportunities;
- Vary admissions criteria: Use different admissions criteria to respond to different individuals’ needs;
- Provide varied student aid: Establish an agency to coordinate different forms of student aid, such as loans and grants;
- Limit student loan repayments to less than 15% of their annual income.